Tuesday, June 07, 2005

What's So Great About Project Runway?

For me, the best thing about Project Runway is that it has increased the general interest level in sewing and designing.

Several years ago I called my daughter's high school and offered to volunteer in the "Home Ec" department. "Excuse me....?" the secretary replied. "We don't have Home Ec anymore." "Well, whatever you call the course where you teach sewing," I explained. "Oh, we don't offer sewing classes here... We have a Life Skills class, would you like to help in there?" "Is that where all the sewing machines are?" I asked. By this time the secretary was laughing...LAUGHING! She actually put her hand over the mouthpiece of the receiver and said "There's a lady on the phone who wants to volunteer in the sewing department!" HA HA HA....

Well guess what? Today that same high school offers a course in Fashion Design.

No comments: