Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The BPR Top 5: 2nd Place

Daniel Vosovic was in trouble. On returning to the Parsons workroom from Mood in Social Scene, he discovered that he had a big problem on his hands. He had found a beautiful geometric print that he planned to pair with a black stretch satin for his Nicky Hilton dress. The only problem was that the black satin turned out to be chocolate brown instead. So he started scrounging around.

Marla and Kara happened to have the very fabric he needed to complete his design, and he was hanging his hopes on their leftovers. So he waited, and waited, and waited. At the end of Day 1, he knew there would be no black satin. Time was running out and with his back against the wall he had to "make it work".

2nd Place, Daniel Vosovic, Social Scene ChallengeEven though he was coming off his first win in Team Lingerie, Daniel V really hadn't impressed us much up to this point. The 24-year old Michigan native had shown great leadership skills and came up with a good collaborative effort for the win, but he had been flying under the radar with his solo designs. With the pressure at a point that would make many designers crumble, he had this to say: "You can sit there and complain about it or try to be creative and think of another solution. So, I just let the design process revolve around this great print..." The result was nothing short of stunning.

He created a sexy, sophisticated silhouette with the print that had his model Rebecca Holliday rocking the runway. This is the dress that made us all sit up and take notice of Daniel Vosovic the designer. His cool, calm head and poise under pressure that he displayed throughout Season 2 belies his age. It also carried him straight to the tent at Bryant Park. The design may not have won this challenge, but it landed him in the runner-up position on BPR's Top 5 Looks for Season 2. Congratulations Daniel!

14 comments:

Curly Glamour Girlie said...

If the little BPR field trip hits Mood, I so want to buy some of this material.

praddicted said...

I love this dress but I think Daniel was a winner in this challenge because of his creativity and composure. I think of some of the other designers and how freaked out they would have been and how differently they would have handled it. It's a beautiful, beautiful dress and would have looked great on Nicky Hilton.

Donny B said...

I thought this was definitely going to be #1. Now I have no idea what will win.

AJ said...

tbone, that was SO well said! Everything you said about this dress making us "stand up and take notice" of Daniel was spot on!

I was just so impressed by his grace under pressure, then when the dress turned out stunning I was like "I don't know where this kid came from...but I like him!"

And I think I can guess what number 1 is :)

Cindy said...

He is super talented, there is no doubt. He can design a dress for me any day.

And it doesnt hurt that the model is totally stunning!

Anonymous said...

This is definitely the dress that put Dan on the map, and in my heart. I was really hoping for something stunning and creative like this for the 'what's your line' competition. It's definitely less safe than the (still beautiful but) boring dress he came up with.

eric3000 said...

This dress was all about the fabric and he really figured out the best way to use it! Stunning! Barely any prints were used this season and I think that made this dress stand out even more. I chose this for my top 5 over his Inspiration look, though it was a tough choice.

Anonymous said...

this dress is ugly
daniel vosovics stuff is non impressive..

Anonymous said...

i think andrae's inspiration dress is going to win

The Scarlett said...

This dress made me notice Daniel really for the first time. And I have to say that this dress made me notice Rebecca for the first time as she really walked a fierce walk, making this dress even more stunning. This dress is not for everyone ... curves are a must! You have to be tall to carry a print like that, in my opinion. But Daniel dressing his Rebecca, that is a wonderful team. Does anyone remember that he got her when Daniel Franco gave her up????

Anonymous said...

That really was a beautiful dress. And knowing the history behind it just makes it that much more impressive. I never really understood why Nicki Hilton was on the show anyway, and the fact that she chose Santino's dress over this one makes me question her taste.

Anonymous said...

daniel really scored with rebecca. she absolutely rocked every one of his designs, embodying the essence of each one of his garments. undenyably an important part of his dominance on the runway.

PhillyKat said...

if i were the model, i would have bid on that dress my damn self

Anonymous said...

I agree with TBone's analysis. Daniel was under the radar until this challenge even though he won the lingerie challenge. But I think his next design, the Bannana Rebulic dress, showed that he was a force.

As far a the dress, I think it's over-rated. It's too simple and quirky for trendy people to wear. If you have a unique personality than this is for you. But it's not for Nicky Hilton.